Wednesday, April 3, 2013

U.S. Meets Singapore

Last Spring I was able to spend my time studying abroad in London. Even though I was already experiencing a vastly diverse culture in a huge city in England, 14 of the students in the program came from the UB Campus located in Singapore. Because of this, I was able to get to know a new culture and make relations with people I probably would have never been able to meet. I bet half of you don't even know that Singapore students have the accessibility to obtain a degree from UB in their country, and it's even considered a private college.

In my flat, I had 2 roommates from here in Buffalo, and one girl from Singapore. Near the end of our 3 months in London, she surprised us with a meal that is very common in her country, chicken rice. It was delicious and amazing to be able to experience a taste of her home. [All of the other Singaporeans were jealous that they weren't able to share our dinner. :) ]

As an awesome gift, she had one of our Singapore friends bring me a pre-mix to make my very own chicken rice over here in the U.S.! Literally all that you need to buy are a whole chicken and rice!

My presentation wasn't as fancy as I could have made it, but the taste was fantastic. The box even came with the sauces pictured to the right. Chili, soy, and ginger sauces are all accompanied for your preference.

As we've talked about globalization and the exchange of foods in our class, I find it very interesting that I was able to make a dish from across the world in my apartment at UB. Like the boxes and spices we saw in the Indian market, this pre-mix allowed me to dip into a different cultural identity and use it at my pleasure in my home. I'm not sure if this box is specifically available at Asian markets in Buffalo, but there are probably ones with similar use.

Just like the readings on how the Indians were nostalgic about their food from home, I was also able to re-live memories I've shared with my friends.



1 comment:

  1. This was interesting. I didn't know that you lived with 14 Singaporean students. It's interesting that you got to enjoy their delicacies and experience some of their culture. Were u able to learn to cook any other dishes or meals?
    Also its nice to see dishes that are common on the other side of the world being made and are something that can be easily done here right in our apartments or homes.

    ReplyDelete