Monday, April 8, 2013

Globalizing Coffee


My mom loves coffee but she has always been very particular about her brew. For years she has been ordering Gevalia brand coffee. It is the world’s largest coffee roastery in Scandinavia but wasn’t on the shelves in America stores so my mom always special ordered it.

A couple of months ago I was at Tops and I noticed Gevalia’s yellow bags in the coffee aisle. I was so excited! A coffee that is apparently in most stores in Scandinavia made its way to America. By globalizing their coffee, Gevalia has made their coffee more easily accessible. The coffee reminds me of home with my mom so I love brewing it in my apartment.  It was nice to see a coffee that was initially only special order in a local grocery store like Tops. More people from outside of Scandinavia can now enjoy it conveniently. I'm just waiting for them to offer whole bean since I love grinding my own fresh coffee.

Another interesting thing to add is the company is owned by Kraft so it strikes me as strange that it wasn't on the shelves before. It interests me that a seemly "specialty coffee" is owned by this major corporation. 





2 comments:

  1. Krystyana,

    Most stuff on grocery store shelves is from a small handful of major corporations. Their control of our food system is no more evident then when you look at a brand that is supposed to be a luxury/specialty item from Europe and it is being sold here by Kraft.


    ReplyDelete
  2. It was shocking to me. I expected a swedish company to own it.

    ReplyDelete