Sunday, April 14, 2013

Indian Cuisine


During our trip to Super Bazaar, I purchased a bunch of spices. I love curry and Indian cuisine and I decided to finally attempt to make my own dish at home. I bought a variety of curry powders and mixes and spicy masala powder. Chana and Vegetable Masala are my favorite Indian dishes.
The recipes on the back were a little different than what I wanted to attempt to make and I was not sure what recipe to follow online to make the best dish so I decided to be adventurous and make it up. I sautéed some onions and yellow peppers first and boiled some potatoes. Many of the recipes I encountered stated to soak dried chickpeas overnight but I decided to use canned.  I made a milk/butter sauce and combined the curry powder and a bit of the masala powder. I added fresh tomatoes, carrots, peas, the chickpeas and the boiled potatoes. The result was different than the dishes I have had at restaurants but still similar and tasty. My version was less sweet and a tad spicier.
I very much enjoyed the class trip since I have never been inside the grocery store. I hope that someday I will learn how to make one of these dishes traditionally. There was such a variety at Super Bazaar! It is wonderful to go to a store with such a selection that I can see would be very important to the Indian community here in Buffalo. I'll definitely be visiting again. 

2 comments:

  1. Krystyana,

    This looks great! Maybe you will perfect your recipe and you can bring it to our pot luck at the end of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I should! I still have a ton of powder to experiment with.

    ReplyDelete