Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Volunteering at the Food Bank of WNY

          Last February I went to the Food Bank of Western New York, and I found an advertisement which calls out for volunteering at the Food Bank on the University Experiences web site at UB. I did this because I have an interest in seeing how donated foods are collected and distributed to those who need them in this massive food consuming country, so I tried to go there and do some volunteering.


          About 10 other UB students came along to volunteer with me. Foods in the warehouse are stored for families and people who have difficulty purchasing enough food to avoid hunger here in Western New York. They are basically canned food, water, pasta and spaghetti, snacks, or ones that can be preserved without refrigerator. Sixty present of the food is donated by many different individuals, grocery stores, and supermarkets such as Tops or Wegmans. The rest of the forty percent is obtained by using the money that the Food Bank raised.


      
          What I did to help out there, was sorting out the foods by their expiration date, and repackaging foods from big boxes to small ones, which could weigh around thirty-five pounds. We worked there for about two hours to make as many of these boxes as we could, and I’m very happy that I helped out. This was really a great experience for me, and I’m really glad that I volunteered there at the Food Bank of WNY.







2 comments:

  1. Keita,

    It is really awesome that you did this!!! As we discussed in class, a larger percentage of people in the United States are living in food insecurity and are unable to get consistant access to quality healthy food. In addition, because Buffalo has among the highest poverty rates in the United States, the level of food insecurity in this region is extremely high. The Food Bank of Western New York does great work to serve this large food insecure population and its great that you took the time to help them out.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was great to see that the workers there are really proud of their jobs. The food insecurity problem happens not only in the US but the all over the world especially in developed countries. I think that the Food Bank has a massive role in this society that there is a large number of people who are suffering from hanger in each part of the world while countless food disposals are produced every single day.

      Delete