Saturday, April 27, 2013

Sour Beer


I enjoy trying different beers. I recently tried a type of beer that seems to be getting more popular: sour beer. I tried it at Blue Monk on Elmwood. If I were to explain the flavor of this beer I would say very vinegary, similar to drinking a glass of balsamic vinaigrette.  I’m not sure how I felt about it but I kept drinking it because the taste was so intriguing.

So I was curious and looked up how this beer is made. According to a couple sources, sour beer is fermented to allow certain bacteria to enter the beer instead of using very sterile processes that the beer fermentation process traditionally uses. The process gives it a tart and more fruity taste.

So if you enjoy trying different types of beer, try sour beer, it is definitely unusual. I'm sure you'll come across it! Seems like it's the new trend for beer lovers and beer snobs. :)

Here’s an article:

1 comment:

  1. Premier on Maple sell this pack called Sour Power which contains 6 beers (3 different) flemmish ales.
    two by Petrus (Oud Bruin, Aged Pale) and one by Monk's Café.
    As far as taste goes, I found the one by Monk's Café to taste like a flat Dr. Pepper with lemon, and one of the Petrus (Aged Pale) to taste similar to a sour apple cider. The Oud Bruin was too sour in my opinion.

    It is definitely different. I am not sure how many times I would buy it tho.

    ReplyDelete