Sunday, April 7, 2013

Fish Frys in Buffalo

So during Lent it was always a tradition in my family to go out on Fridays and eat a fish fry. I was raised Catholic and during Lent we are not supposed to eat meat on Fridays. A fish fry is a breaded fish that has been fried and is usually served with coleslaw, rye bread, and french fries. It's much like fish and chips in England. I have recently found out that the fish fry tradition is mostly a Buffalo/ Western New York tradition. I have to wonder if that is because of the large Irish and Polish communities, but I honestly am not sure.

Do any of you have fish frys back in your hometown? Are they everywhere and anywhere like they are here in Buffalo?

If you're curious and looking for a good fish fry, check out Brennan's Bowery Bar on a Friday night or try The Wellington. The Glenn Park Tavern also has a really good fish fry.

Here's a photo of one that I had not too long ago from a restaurant called The Galveston in Lancaster. It wasn't the best I've ever had, but it also wasn't the worst.


2 comments:

  1. Thankyou Lauren for your fish fry review! I am a huge fan of fish fry, and I can get it back in longisland as well. In buffalo I have found two places that have amazing fish fry!! Maybachs deli (which is great by the way) has "fish fry fridays" I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for some great food. Maybachs is located in Tonawanda, off Niagra Falls Boulevard. Another place that has great fish fry is the indoor Padlock Chevrolet Golf Dome. It has a sit down place to eat inside, not too pricy, and also has amazing food and even better fish fry! Enjoy everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family was just having a discussion about this the other day. They all grew up here but eventually moved to other places. They recently came to visit and my cousin that lives in Texas said that you couldn't find a fish fry anywhere near where she lived. It was because of this conversation that I realized it was only a Western New York thing because I never thought before that they didn't really offer it in other places.I wonder what people in other places eat during Lent? The fish fry seems to be a staple in this area. During this past Lent I usually went to Athena's because they offer one of the better fish frys.

    ReplyDelete