Monday, February 4, 2013

When we're with friends... We eat

I noticed that every time I make a trip to visit friends,
or they manage to make their way over to me here in Buffalo, we indulge.

Kike Alicha Watt
My friend Joe and I were in the Elmwood/Allen area to check out the shops, decided to try a random place, and ended up at  Gatur's Ethiopian Cuisine.

I have always wanted try to African food, any type, and Ethiopian made it's way to first on the list.

I wasn't sure on what to expect at all and sat down with good intentions. Since the vegetarian dishes managed to be half the price compared to the meat ones, I went with Kike Alicha Watt (red lentils, onion, garlic, and spices)

The salad had a pretty nice homemade citrus dressing, and the lentils were spiced at a good level for my taste. Underneath is spongy bread called Inerja. The texture might be a little off for some people, and it doesn't have much taste. My only negative thought about it was that it soaked up the dressing from the salad, making into that soggy bread that we all hate.


Veggie Wet Shoes

For brunch on Sunday, we headed to Amy's Place, right near all of the happening spots that South Campus Main St. has to offer. I hope you all have been here, because it is literally a piece of gold place right at hand's reach. Every time I've been here, I've ordered a different item and for about 2 months I've been craving the Veggie Wet Shoes (pictured right - Curly Q fries smothered with spicy lentils, grilled onions, peppers, tomatoes, cheddar, with a side of sour cream)

The cheese makes it look a little unappetizing due it's glazed coverage, but throw some hot sauce on this and it is all of the tastes you've wanted in one dish on a cold day.

In relation to our Friday discussion, after eating all of these lentils, it really made me want to try quinoa and lentils together!


Lastly, since we were so close, I made my friend make a quick stop at Paula's Donuts.
Paula's Chocolate Peanut Donut
(I actually made two stops there this past weekend, our little secret)

Another little joint right at our fingertips, on the corner of Englewood and Kenmore. I suggest stopping everything and going there right now.

I have never had regular donut so fluffy and sweet. I love, love, love peanut donuts and Paula's has created my all time love - the peanut cream.

At this trip, a lady made a chocolate peanut for me without a question.
Also, I found out my boss's brother in law is the main donut chef, so he gets free d-rings all the time, oh how I wish I had that connection.

5 comments:

  1. That place on elmwood sounds amazing! i agree, amy's is amazing! I love their mediterranean breakfast. It includes lentils, broccoli, eggs, toast and hasbrowns. Add some hot sauce and coffee, it's the best Saturday morning remedy after a long Friday night.

    P.S. I was surprised actually how many vegan and vegetarin options amy's place had too! (and seemed appetizing too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love Amy's. I have yet to try the Ethiopian restaurant in Buffalo, but I have had it several times while in D.C. (Washington has one of the biggest Ethiopian populations in the world outside of Ethiopia). I hear great things about the place here in Buffalo. My experiences with Ethiopian food have been mixed (I am not sure I like the bread that most dishes are served on, its too soggy for my taste), but I should def give the place in Buffalo a try. Thanks for the post.

    -John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      One of my other friends said there's a place on Amherst and Grant (named Lucy) that she's been wanting to try! I'm not sure how Ethiopian food would vary from different restaurants, but there's an option for ya as well.

      The injera was not really something I'd get again, but it's always cool to try. They also give you a pita option, and I love myself some pita.

      Delete
  3. You make me want to go out to eat more often! Your pictures make everything look so appetizing!
    My goal is to try everything on Amy's menu, but sometimes it's so hard because everything is so good and it's hard to hard to break away from a dish you have had many times and always love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's surprising to me that there is a Ethiopian restaurant in Buffalo. I'm interested in African food as well, so I will definitely go there to taste it while in Buffalo. The dish in the picture seems healthy and low calorie even though the salad is soaked with dressing.

    ReplyDelete