Monday, February 11, 2013

The Enormous Wegmans

I went to a concert last night in Rochester, and when I go to Rochester I like to explore the super giant Wegmans in Pittsford.  


This place offers a huge variety of things in the food bar area.  Of course there is the usual burrito station and sub shop, but then there is also basically any type of food you could imagine.  There was "Indian" (which I believe is the picture I took), "Chinese", "Italian", "Vegetarian", then there was things like macaroni and cheese, fried foods, enchiladas, different rices, salads... basically just a lot of food.



Also, a huge bakery section exists!  There were tons of different types of cookies, brownies, pastries, etc.  I tried a whole grain chocolate banana cookie, which was actually pretty awesome.  Next to the bakery is a coffee shop with a fairly large amount of drink choices.


Then, there is so much seating, to the point where it's almost crazy.   There are two floors of seats with multiple rooms on the second floor.  Oddly, I felt like each room was trying to enhance a certain 
mood, or tried to mimic a certain type of feel.




This Wegmans also has a restaurant called "The Food Bar" located basically inside and a more upscale restaurant across the street called "Next Door Bar and Grill"

Basically, Wegmans is a big deal.  Especially to Rochester dwellers (someone at the concert even brought up Wegmans to the opening act of the show).   Wegmans really does have a lot of pretty good stuff to choose from...it still is just slightly crazy though that this is all inside of a grocery store!  You have to imagine that this place is quite the competition for not only other grocery stores, but also other restaurants/bakeries/cafes/everything.

5 comments:

  1. WOWW this wegman is ridiculous compared to the ones we have here. It looks so nice and fancy. I think I'd go crazy exploring the whole market. Thanks for sharing, next time I go to Rochester I'll be sure to visit this wegmans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexandria,

    That Wegmans really does seem huge. Maybe even a bit too big. Id probably be overwhelmed. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

    Lets take the analysis of grocery stores a bit further and see how a place like Wegmans intersects with the issues of race, class and gender that we are discussing this semester. Lets try and push the analysis a bit further. Take a moment and do a simply google Maps search for Wegmans in Buffalo. Where are they located? Who has access to such stores? What about price. Wegmans is one of the more expensive shopping choices in Buffalo/Western New York. Who has access to food that is as expensive as it is in Wegmans. As much as I love Wegmans and think it is a great store, some of these other issues are important to think about.

    thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I've totally thought about this, John. Especially after seeing that Pittsford is an upper-class neighborhood which has a 92% white makeup in its population. It's pretty clear that it's trying to attract a certain type of shopper.

    Wegmans is pretty awesome, but I personally can't afford to go there daily. I spent almost $20 there that day alone! Wegmans is mainly a place for middle/upper class people to just stop in after work and grab some pre-made food for dinner. It's convenient, and even better, it tastes and seems "home cooked", which is probably satisfying for people with families.

    Basically, it takes money to be able to afford the food and atmosphere of Wegmans. I think the fact that Alec Baldwin did the commercials says enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your most recent post regarding price at Wegmann's. I went there to eat the other night, and from what I thought was a normal amount of food, ended up totaling up to me going to a fine dining restaurant!. Even though it was delicious, I will definitely reconsider next time I'm running low on cash.

    ReplyDelete