Sunday, February 10, 2013

CNY in buffalo

        This year is the first year that I am spending Chinese New Year away from home.
When I am back at home, Chinese New Year is a time for delicious foods and of course red envelopes. My whole dinner table is always filled with different dishes. However since this year I am in school, I had to make the best of my Chinese New Year. My friends and I went to Eastern Pearl for lunch in hopes of food that would remind us of back home, and it definitely did. There was only 3 of us so we didn't order a lot. We order half a roasted duck, mayo jumbo shrimp with walmuts and mixed veggies. The portions were big and the food tasted just like home.

        For dinner, my sorority planned a hotpot. For those who don't know, hotpot is basically a pot boiling on a automatic stove with a soup base in it and we throw in frozen foods to cook in it. It is very instant so we cook what we want to eat and then eat it. Hotpot is easy and very filling.

3 comments:

  1. Last year when I was in London during CNY, I celebrated with all my Singaporean friends. There was so many different yummy foods, and we even did the salad tossing!

    I'm glad you had a taste of home, it all looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey guys, please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "red envelope"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. red envelopes are like decorated red envelopes that the elder generations give to younger generations. inside the envelopes are money ranging from $1 to $100+. Friends and family members give them out to children. It is to start off the year with prosperity I think. I never really looked into why red envelopes were given, I just received them as a kid.

    ReplyDelete