Sunday, February 3, 2013

Southern Food Experience


During the final week of the winter break, I went to see one of my friends in Chapel hill, North Carolina. I ate two southern dishes there: barbeque and grits. Before I visited her,  another friend from Florida told me that I should eat those two dishes in the Southern part of America, so I asked the friend living in NC before I visited to feed me them. One evening, she took me to the restaurant which is called “MAMA DIP’s.” (http://www.mamadips.com/) I ordered “Chopped Bar-B-QUE Pork”, which is next to yam in the picture. Barbeque, to me, is an event that a certain number of people gather and grill not only meat but various vegetables, sometimes fish and shellfish, or whatever I want to eat. However,  I realized that barbeque is also a term for a certain dish, which a sort of meat is grilled and covered with sauce;  I double checked what the barbeque is in the AMS295 class. The sauce was a little sweet and sour. The taste was okay.  


Next morning, we went to another restaurant, where I ate grits. This place was connected with a supermarket and was like a local morning cafeteria. As for grits, the main ingredient is liquid and alkali-treated corn called hominy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominy). It’s a little hard for me to describe what it is, so please see the picture below. The one I ate was probably contained butter and salt too since the girts itself has not so much taste. Getting  an advice from my friend, I put some cheddar cheese at bottom of the cup and put black peppers on the top; that was a really good combo. I love it. Only grits is not enough for breakfast, so I had a piece of pan cake and a little salad with it. Because Grits is a really light meal and very suitable for breakfast,  I could see a lot of elderly people around us eating grits after their morning walk. 


This is my southern food experience during the winter break.


2 comments:

  1. Keita,

    We are going to spend sometime next week in class talking about exactly what "Southern" food and "African American Foods" are.

    If you are interested in the history of Southern/African American foods, it might be a great topic for your groups final paper and there are many books written about these cuisines.

    Here are a few examples (in addition to what we are reading in class):

    If you are interested in the history of Barbecue

    http://www.amazon.com/Savage-Barbecue-Culture-Invention-Americas/dp/0820331090

    If you are interested in African American foodways more generally (also gives you a good def of what hominy is):

    http://www.amazon.com/Hog-Hominy-Traditions-Perspectives-Culinary/dp/0231146396/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360071598&sr=1-1&keywords=hog+and+hominy+soul+food+from+africa+to+america

    Take a look at both. I really think that would be a great final paper topic.

    -John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      When I was writing this article, I remembered the class which we talked about what the American cuisine is. At that time, I thought there was no American cuisine, but now I would say that southern food could be "American cuisine." This is because southern food had been affected and created by the people who had established the United States.

      Delete