Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Medieval Feast - Bistro Europa



I am not a stranger to Bistro Europa. Located on Elmwood, Bistro Europa is a small restaurant (Sits about 20 people) which offers a modern spin on traditional eastern European dishes. While there is a "default" menu, i strongly advise to avoid it, and go for the specials menu (posted on their website).

This menu will typically list the daily offering of four items from the default menu: Charcuterie board, Cheese board, Soup, and Pierogi. Beyond these four items the rest changes every day, and anything from fish, to more exotic items such as innards (Jan 29: Pork Kidneys), hearts, bellies, tongues, and many more items you will not usually find in most restaurants.

After many visits i was under the assumption that nothing i will find there is going to surprise me

This was all until one night when i walked in, and noticed a large group of people feasting on an item more barbaric, and exotic than anything I had ever seen on the menu before. The first image that popped in my head is one from a typical medieval movie. They were surrounded by beer, 6 very large plates with different sides, and in the middle of all, the main item of the feast; a large roasted pig head. At that moment i knew i had to try it.

After asking the chef/manager about it, he told me it is a special order, and needs to be booked two weeks in advance. There’s a minimum of 5 people, at a price range of 35$-60$ per person. I gathered 4 of my friends and called in to reserve. We decided to go for the 45$ a person which offered a few more side dishes than the basic. I do want to note that the extra options change from time to time, so the price ceiling may be different.

From the moment we set down we were bombarded with food and beer. It started with the excellent bread basket which comes with homemade spreadable lard (pork fat). This was followed by cream of broccoli, sour apples and cabbage, roasted cauliflower with candied yams, oyster mushrooms and roasted spinach. There was another side dish of some potatoes, but at that point we were all too hammered and excited from the sight of the main course to care for it.

The chef brings out the head to the table followed by the waitress who brought him a large fork and even a larger knife. He then starts to carve the head, removing the crispy ears, slices the cheeks and neck, and shaves off pieces of skin. The result was delicious.

I am not going to lie. This is not a dish for the more conservative eaters. Once the head is carved he offered us to try the nose, eyes and brain. The pig head in general is very fatty, yet delicious meat. Its roasted for few hours so the skin becomes very crispy. The nose was pretty terrible. The eyes were bitter with a strong iron-metallic flavor, with a very sticky texture. The brain is like a custardy-cream cheese. Alone it is a little intense, but on bread it is not bad at all.

The overall experience was great. We left very full and happy, as it is a once in a lifetime kind of experience. I am not sure if I would do it again, but the overall experience of a lot of beer, large colorful side dishes with their mixed flavors, the tenderness, smoky-roasted flavor of the juicy meat, and the unusual sight of the roasted head, left many memories in my head.

On a second thought…I definitely would do it again.

their website:


*I unfortunately do not have any pictures of the side dishes



 




5 comments:

  1. Kfir,

    Great post! Bistro Europa is one of my favorite restaurants. I love the atmosphere there and I love the intimacy of the small restaurant. I have tried most of the stuff on the basic menu, but I have yet to see this roast while Ive been there. From what I hear, pig cheek is supposed to be the most delicate and tender cuts of meat on the entire animal.

    Here is something to think about to push the conversation a bit further - You used the words barbaric and exotic in your post to describe the roast pig. Take a moment and think about what these words mean, especially in relation to food. We are going to spend a great deal of the second half of the semester talking about what they mean and pay attention to how labeling food barbaric and exotic can be a way to deem it inferior to normative-Western food. And how and why eating "barbaric" and "exotic" has become appealing for progressive white "foodies" in the United States.

    We will even spend a few moments tomorrow talking about how "barbaric" and "savage" are associated with Native peoples and their diets. In particular we will be talking about bison consumption and hunting as barbaric and how it became a means for whites to colonize the Blackfeet peoples in Montana.

    thanks for the great post and the awesome pictures!

    see you in class tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One question,

    Was the beer included in the price? ahaha

    This sounds like an awesome experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no way that I'm going to pass up an opportunity like this, I NEED TO EAT THIS!

    Finally, no more wasting parts of the pig! I have had pieces of a pig roast, were they put a whole pig on a giant BBQ pit and a whole party would finish the entire pig.

    I also love how this is a special event, and you could get different side dishes as well. This sounds like my kind of night out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been there once before and was very impressed. I had no idea they served this though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kfir,

    I am very impressed that you stepped up to the plate and made the reservation to try something you haven't had before. Personally, I don't think I would be able to be put on the spot at a public restaurant to eat something so out of my element for the first time.I wouldn't want to offend the chef if I wasn't feeling brave enough to taste every body part of the pig! I have heard great reviews on Bistro Europa but I think I would have to stick to a more conservative feast myself!

    ReplyDelete