Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Eddie Huang: Fresh Off the Boat

Hello all,

If anyone is interested, here is a web shows that I like to follow and really like.  

Fresh Off the Boat - A show from Vice Magazine that traces Taiwanese chef, comedian, author and all around awesome dude Eddie Huang as he travels around the United States, eats, drinks and smokes, interacts with chefs and his cast of famous friends. I really like the show because Huang not only explores really engaging trasnational communities through food and culture, but also because he frequently touches on issues of race, immigration, authenticity and class - and finds a way to merge all of this with youth street/hip hop culture. 


Here is one of my personal favs:



Huang is the proprietor of Baohaus in Manhattan. He writes and talks about his life as a chef, food, hip hop culture, and street food and whatever else the show covers.  He is also the author of the book Fresh Off the Boat: A Memoir, which I havent read yet but seems like a great read.  

We will probably watch some of his videos in class, but take a moment to check some out.  It is def worth your time.  

3 comments:

  1. WOW! this video is great! I've seen a lot of food shows and this definitely goes up on my top 10. I really like the fact that Eddie Huang is Asian. It is cool that I get to see food in the same perspective as me because a lot of other shows are told through White people. I like this video. I actually think, I am going to subscribe and start following him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,

    You def should subscribe. I love his videos. Not only does he has a great perspective and is really funny, but also talks about the really important issues of race, class and gender that we are discussing this semester. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete