Thursday, January 24, 2013

Eggs Benedict Lovers

Hey Foodies!

Just like Andres posted, I also ate some delicious food over break and literally can't stop thinking about it.  For my birthday weekend, I managed to head down to Brooklyn with a few friends.

On our first day we walked around a few neighborhoods close to where my friend's apartment was, and checked out a little restaurant called Picket Fence for some brunch. Who knows why I never have had Eggs Benedict before, but I went for it, and the unlimited mimosas weren't too shabby either. I could not get over how delicious it was, and why I was late on the game.
Here's the website for that restaurant if anyone is ever down there:
http://picketfencebrooklyn.com/

Before long we were walking again and worked up quite an appetite. My friend, also named Katie, knew of a polish place that was pretty authentic and decently priced.
Krolewskie Jadlo was the name, but do not even  ask me how to pronounce this place. The polish language is quite absurd, but they can cook up a damn good meal. For only $12.00 my friend and I split a Polish plate, which consisted of stuffed cabbage, pierogies, potato pancakes, sausage, and veggies. By sausage, they mean kielbasa, one of the best flavoured meats that I only eat about once a year.
http://www.krolewskiejadlo.com/eng/

On my actually birthday, we headed to Chinatown for some of the famous soup dumplings. Supposedly soup dumplings are only available at Joe's Shanghai locations, but again, who knows I'm just here to eat. The wait is pretty decent because so many people want to get at this food, and even pictures of celebrities are posted on the walls, so you obviously know it's a cool place to be. The service is pretty chaotic and you sit with other random people in order to fill spaces, but the food was just so tasty and cheap that you literally are only embedded in experiencing what's in your mouth. We ordered about 4 soup dumpling orders which was way too much, but hey, might as well eat as much as you can because who knows when you'll be in Chinatown again?
http://www.joeshanghairestaurants.com/chinatownstore_eng.html

P.S. - This place had some awesome bubble tea. Ten Ren Tea Time
http://www.tenrenusa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=46





So yes, majority of my trip was based on food, but I loved every second of it.
Since I found a new love for Eggs Benedict, I decided I needed to try to make it for myself.

The basics include: an english muffin, bacon or ham, a poached egg, then hollandaise sauce to top.
For being a beginner, I just purchased a Knorr's hollandaise sauce packet and use that for simplicity.

I made myself believe that poaching an egg was going to the be one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, but believe it or not, this girl made it pretty easy. All of the other videos I watched were so intricate and I like to think I'm a Food Network star sometimes, but let's be serious.




The Knorr's packet also had directions and the recipe on it as well, which pretty much made everything easy. So anyways, here's the finished product:


I was pretty pleased with it, and my friend who I made it for as well, ate it all up. So I would say it's a go. Next time I might be risky and make my own hollandaise sauce. ;)


4 comments:

  1. Katie,

    This sounds like an awesome trip. I am writing my dissertation about NYC and there are so many incredible restaurants! I have some personal favorites (Meatball Shop, Tacos el Bronco, ...ugh I am not even going to try and make a list).

    If you like soup dumplings, you should check out this video.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3few31sAkCI

    I love Eddie Huang and almost everything that Vice magazine does, and he teaches us the "real" way to eat a soup dumpling and to not be a houligan.

    Thanks for sharing for food adventures with us.

    See you Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      Eddie's day out with his friends seems like the most perfect bro day ever.

      I actually was debating on going to the Meatball Shop! That'll have to be for next time. I was definitely eating the soup dumplings like a hooligan.
      I also had a really good chimichanga at this place called Rachel's on 5th ave too.

      You definitely seem like you know all the hot spots though!
      Good luck with your dissertation! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benedicts are wonderful! I'm a big fan of breakfast foods. I work at a restaurant and we serve steak and salmon benedicts as well! Steak benedict is my favorite of the benedicts. They are really good if you squeeze fresh lemon and add a little hot sauce, yum.

    ReplyDelete