Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Lobster

    A few years ago, my dad had taken us down to Santa Monica, California for a month in summer and I had one of the best times of my life there. But one of the most memorable moments was when we had dinner at this  at define the time I had there, each place evoked the feelings of paradise, happiness, and the surreal feel of my vacation there.

   The first place we went to, called The Lobster, was in the top 30 restaurants of Santa Monica and it was a night to remember. If anyone has seen the iconic Santa Monica  boating sign next to the pier, then you know you're right in the heart of the city. The crazy part is, this restaurant is literally right next to this sign:

(Not my picture)
   Unfortunately, I don't have the pictures that I took that day, I never uploaded them to my computer before I lost my phone haha. This place was amazing though, we sat at one of the window seats near the back of the restaurant, and this next picture I found from the inside actually has a picture of the table we sat at.


  We sat at the 4th table down, straight ahead from where the picture was taken, and down the beach is where Malibu was. We got to watch the sunset over the beach, and the rays of light would shine in through the slits in the ceiling while we could see the light glimmer off of the ocean right from our seats, and we could see straight down the length of the beach.

   My dad was showing off a bit, and decided to order a few trays of oysters, and I'm so happy that he did! The oysters were raw, and had kind of a strange texture, but they were delicious. Usually to eat them you had to slurp them right out of their shell, kind of like using their shell as a spoon and slurping soup from it. We had a variety of dipping sauces to accompany them too, but I still have no idea what the sauces were even made of. After looking at the price of the oysters, I never thought it would be worth it. $15 for 6 oysters! They were definitely fresh, and delicious, but with my step-mom, dad, step-grandma, and I there feeding us all a few oysters was a bit crazy (although much appreciated).

   The craziest part wasn't the oysters though, it was my entree. We found it obligatory to all order lobsters for our main course, the only problem was that they were out of the regular sized 4-5 pound lobsters for single orders, but they had a huge 10 pound lobster that I could split with someone. Everyone else had already ordered lobsters other than my step-grandma Sara, and with my dad's okay, we ordered it. It was MASSIVE, the plate itself stretched across the table from Sara to me (she was in front of me) and the lobster itself was nearly as long as that. I remember having a picture of all of us around it, and I'm in the process of asking my dad to find it so I can show everyone! It was so delicious, it took us a couple of days of leftovers to fully finish it off, and it was extremely fresh. This was the best meal I've ever had in my life.

  These memories will be with me forever, and to think of this night always makes me smile.







1 comment:

  1. I ama big fan of shellfish and crustaceans. Its funny to think that lobster was at first fed to prisoners and was thought of as cheap food. I had live lobster sashimi once in NYC. If you ever see it on a menu its a must.

    ReplyDelete