Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Quanjude --- The famous Peking Roast Duck

Quanjude (全聚德) is a Chinese restaurant which is known for Peking Roast Duck since its establishment in 1864 in Beijing, China.

"Quan (全) means perfection without a flaw, Ju (聚) means gathering without departing, and De (德) means virtues to be supreme." Therefore, Quanjude together implies perfection, union, and benevolence.

Quanjude was established in 1864 during the Qing Dynasty under the reign of the Tongzhi Emperor. Although Peking Duck can trace its history many centuries back, Quanjude's heritage of roast duck preparation - using open ovens and non-smoky hardwood fuel such as Chinese date, peach, or pear to add a subtle fruity flavor with a golden crisp to the skin - was originally reserved for the imperial families.





Crispy roasted duck sliced into 108 thin slices in front of your eyes. Served with thin pancakes and sauce - just amazing. 



There is a proper way to eat it. First, pick up a slice of duck with the help of a pair of chopsticks and dip it into the soy paste. Next, lay it on the top of a thin cake and add some bars of cucumber and shallot. Finally, wrap the stuff into a bundle with the sheet cake (a thin pancake). 


3 comments:

  1. Thankyou for taking the time to share this information, as I have never tried duck, but I eventually plan to try it! This type of food has been on the back burner for me my whole life as it is not an american food, and I feel alienated from certain foods because I have never been exposed to such diversity of foreign foods. The crispy roasted ducks with pancakes and sauce looks and sounds delicious!! I hope to try it in the near future.

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I known, you can try it in Buffalo at a restaurant called "The Eastern Pearl Restaurant". I have been there once and the Peking Roast Duck is kind of authentic but the pancake is total different from China.

      Delete
  2. I had the quan ju de duck before but I never knew the culture or the meaning behind its name. Thanks for explaining the history of quan ju de, it reminds me of my childhood about have quan ju de kao ya on my 9 years old birthday part. yummy definitely need to have it again sometimes.

    ReplyDelete