Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pfannkuchensuppe





These are the ingredients.
You roll the thin pancakes and cut them into sections.
The final product( I used vegetable broth instead of beef)
A few weeks ago in my German class we learned restaurant and food-type terms. Along with this came the explanation of many typical German dishes. My professor, who is Bayern ( Bavarian-someone from Southern Germany), has great input because she has personal experience with the food. One dish in particular caught my eye, Pfannkuchensuppe, which literally translates to Pancake Soup. It was listed as an appetizer on the menu we were looking at. On a quest to get a taste of Germany I decided to take it upon myself to make this dish. To my surprise it was a quite simple recipe (I’ll post the link below). There wasn’t a whole lot about the dish itself, mainly just recipes. What I have learned is that Pancake Soup can only be found in Southern Germany and there are similar variations of the same dish in a specific section of Europe. These other countries are Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France, and Hungary. Most of the ingredients are native to Europe so the dish could potentially have been around for quite some time. It’s interesting that all of these countries are connected by this food and that someone like me could easily find a recipe online and have access to it. You can find all of the ingredients at pretty much any grocery store. Preparing this food yourself, rather than just going to an ethnic restaurant, gives you a better appreciation for how it is prepared and also the experience of eating it in your home as a native probably would. I also learned some new German words along the way.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. I wonder though, was it salty, savory or sweet? I am imagining something like a matzo ball soup, but I could be way off base. hmmmm.... Maybe I should make it next time I have left over pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fond of European cuisines but always find them hard to make. However, this one looks simple and fun. I will probably give it a try during the upcoming summer break. By the way, I like the color of the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't use leftover American-style pancakes for this soup. German pancakes are more like crepes,without baking powder, and somewhat crispy. American-type pancakes would make your soup "gummy". (A Bavarian Grandma)

    ReplyDelete